Thursday 8 March 2012

Blog 24

For my dissertation in 2009, I questioned what is the role of the artist in contemporary society? And all those old haunts of mine are coming back again. I have so many questions about the role of art and the the artist today and what is my role as an artist in all of this?

I've been catching up on my art journals these last couple of weeks and they invariably bog me down with all the numerous layers of thought and activity that are happening in the national and international world. Art that is participatory, includes community involvement or activism are key areas constantly addressed, yet I am not a community artist. This feels problematic for me.

On a practical level, I've been piercing my roll of paper for over 100 hours now and it was starting to feel repetitive. The process that I meticulously follow was starting to feel like hard labour. I am feeling a bit better about it now.

I think I'm trying to establish a formality to what I do. A structure and a justification. This is for the work that I make (the thing in itself) and myself as an artist.

There are three things to consider:
  1. The act of making, which I approach in a simple way. I love the simplicity of it.
  2.  (a) Reading, thinking, and writing about the theory and context of my work. (b) Keeping up to date with contemporary art practice. This feels the most complex and challenging part of my practice - good and bad.
  3. Computer, networking time. This can be informative, is necessary, yet sometimes an all time consuming activity.
I think I'm feeling restless at the moment. Thinking lots and not wanting to think at all. Wanting to talk lots and not talk at all. Feeling a need to explain myself and not explain anything at all. In terms of the creative process, the way I am right now is said to be a good thing. Arrrrghhhhh!




No comments:

Post a Comment